Reporting in the Cloud
Customer: Large, full-service regional bank
Project: Process and Technology Readiness for the Cloud, Reporting and Mobile Dashboard Development
This regional bank provides full-service commercial, small business, and consumer banking services; mortgage banking services; treasury management and foreign exchange services; equipment leasing; wealth and investment management services; trust services; brokerage services; customized insurance brokerage and service programs; and other financial products and services. The primary distribution channels include a banking network of more than 700 traditional branches and convenience branches, and through other distribution channels including internet and mobile banking, telephone banking, and more than 1,400 ATMs. This customer also provides commercial banking services to automotive dealers and retail automobile financing for dealer customers.
Business Goals & Benefits
Internal and external reporting was fragmented across applications and lines of business. Significant demand for new reporting products was going unmet and the bank was not realizing the return on their investment in a central MicroStrategy Cloud implementation. This customer had several projects identified including:
- Executive Leadership Dashboards – replacing an 18 page spreadsheet with interactive, highly visual mobile dashboards.
- Increase Cross Sell – A key CEO-led initiative was to improve product cross sell to improve customer relationships, improve customer loyalty and increase revenue. Dashboards were built to track individual, product and branch performance against this initiative.
- Branch Performance Dashboards – This bank had close to 700 retail locations and required a Daily Operations dashboard for the Branch Managers showing overall performance of their location.
These projects were being stalled due to limited knowledge of MicroStrategy infrastructure and best practices. The corporate BI team was looking for significant knowledge transfer in MicroStrategy best practices and data optimization for MicroStrategy to improve overall performance of their MicroStrategy Cloud implementation.
Southport was engaged to standardize the bank’s BI process infrastructure and ensure that it satisfied internal compliance requirements. Southport was also tasked with several high-visibility deployments including the Executive Leadership dashboards and the mobile (iPad) branch operations application to be deployed to Relationship Mangers in the Corporate Operations group.
- Documented process strategy governing new project onboarding, security, application deployment and change management specifically for MicroStrategy Cloud.
- Deployment of a mobile branch management application to the bank’s 700 regional branches proving previously unavailable insights into key operational metrics.
- Deployment of a mobile Corporate Relationship Manager application showing each Relationship Manager’s sales contribution and benchmarking them against their peers.
As a result of Southport’s engagement, the bank developed the processes necessary to standardize their reporting platform and manage business unit operations through key business indicators. Further, the bank’s technology support team became fully self-sufficient in supporting their existing BI technology stack and expanding to new lines of business within the bank.
Scope of Southport Engagement
- BI Strategy, Planning & Roadmap Development
- Security and administration process development for MicroStrategy Cloud
- Dashboards and Advanced Visualizations
- Knowledge transfer and mentoring of customer resources
- Development and deployment of MicroStrategy Mobile applications
- Data Model design and implementation
Learn more about Southport’s Business Intelligence Service Offerings.