What’s New in MicroStrategy 10.3
As experts in MicroStrategy, it’s our goal to provide you with the tools, knowledge and resources that you need to maximize the value of your MicroStrategy investment.
On March 15, MicroStrategy officially announced the General Availability (GA) of MicroStrategy 10.3. This is the third version of MicroStrategy 10 to be released under MicroStratgy’s new “90 day cadence delivery” model that they announced with the GA of MicroStrategy 10.
MicroStrategy will be hosting a free webinar on March 22 to walk through “What’s New” in 10.3, but we thought we’d summarize the new features here in case you want a sneak peak.
MicroStrategy 10.3 consists of new and enhanced capabilities in four primary areas:
- Ease of Use
- Certified Integration with third-party software
New and Enhanced Visualization Capabilities
Continuing their recent focus on agile end-user analytics and providing an enterprise scale alternative to data visualization tools like Tableau and Qlik, version 10.3 features enhanced visualization capabilities that include:
- Customized dashboards with formatting controls;
- Pie charts as a part of the cluster markers on top of maps;
- Improved support for custom shapes on ESRI maps; and
- Streamlined workflows for adding images to dashboards.
With these new features, MicroStrategy 10 Secure Enterprise makes it easier for users to build apps and dashboards, find answers, and complete tasks faster. To learn more about these new features, visit: http://www.microstrategy.com/us/platform/whats-new.
Custom Visualization Gallery
MicroStrategy is rolling out a new Custom Visualization Gallery, a library of pre-configured, open-source visualizations available to the users of the MicroStrategy Community. Any MicroStrategy user can now access this growing collection of visualizations and load them into their existing data discovery dashboards with ease. These visualizations come fully pre-configured and can be accessed using MicroStrategy Desktop™, MicroStrategy Web™, and MicroStrategy Mobile™.
The user community-led site includes a wide range of stunning visualizations. For example, dynamic org chart visualizations help analysts better comprehend organizational and structural relationships; sankey diagrams enable users to visualize the magnitude of flow between nodes in a network; sequence starbursts help users summarize navigation paths through a website; and box plots help analysts compare distributions between groups of data. These easy to access, unique and custom visualizations supplement the extensive library of native visualizations that come with the product and suit a variety of user needs via D3 visualization and Google chart libraries.
Ease-of-Use Improvements Across the Entire MicroStrategy Platform
Exciting new features make it faster and easier to build web and mobile applications, both in the cloud and on-premises:
- New Express Install. The new Express Install in version 10.3 makes it incredibly easy to set up the enterprise platform. Users can get instant access to the full suite of enterprise analytics, mobility, and security functionality with a significantly reduced number of configuration steps.
- Combine dashboards to tell better stories. Business users can now embed and consolidate multiple dashboards into the same MicroStrategy Desktop application. This allows users to combine forces and reuse existing content, greatly reducing the time it takes to develop dashboards and applications.
- Build once, deploy everywhere. With version 10.3, any dashboard designed in MicroStrategy Web that includes an ESRI map will automatically be rendered on standard smartphones running on iOS or the Android™ platform by using native Apple® and Google map functionality.
- Reusable panel stacks for documents. Designers can now easily duplicate panel stacks in MicroStrategy Web, without having to replicate effort. Using this feature in conjunction with the ability to save document design themes makes it faster and easier than ever before to build pixel-perfect dashboard applications.
- Cache and cube subscriptions. Administrators can now create subscriptions for cube refresh and cache update using MicroStrategy Web, making it easier to manage and administer BI projects from a single interface.
New Certifications and Support with MicroStrategy 10.3
Version 10.3 also supports and certifies additional gateways that allow enterprises to leverage existing assets, including:
- Simba® ODBC driver for Google BigQuery, Impala™, MapR®, and Drill;
- Cloudera® CDH 5.5;
- Pivotal® HAWQ® 1.3;
- Direct Data import from JSON file format;
- Snowflake RDBMS;
- Certified MobileIron® for iOS 9; and
- Usher™ Directory agent support for Open LDAP™.
As MicroStrategy partners, we are early adopters of all of their new technology, participating in beta and pre-release programs. Our consultants are experts in the new features of MicroStrategy before they reach GA. If you’d like to discuss how these new features can help you get more out of your MicroStrategy implementation, contact us.