Customer: Large Fine Jewelry Retailer
Project: Sales & Inventory Management
As one of the largest specialty retailers of fine jewelry in the United States, operating 150 locations in 33 states, this company is a leading buyer of closeout jewelry and watches and a major seller of jewelry in outlet malls, airports, and other locations. The company had 650 employees in 2007 and approximately $56m in revenue.
Business Goals & Benefits
Southport was employed to transition the retailer from Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) to the MicroStrategy platform. The company was utilizing static reports that had limited interactivity and failed to provide business users with the ability to drill into the data to identify performance trends and opportunities for improvement. Working with Southport, the company selected the MicroStrategy platform to implement a reporting solution to achieve the following goals:
- Provide users with actionable information in a timely manner
- Increase analysis capabilities across sales, inventory management and marketing
- Enable self-service reporting for the end-users, eliminating the need to rely on scarce IT resources to develop reports for users
Within twelve weeks, Southport was able to create a new consolidated reporting database with automated ETL and Data Quality processes to load data nightly from the retailer’s source systems. A new MicroStrategy infrastructure was built to support both existing management reporting and more detailed ad-hoc analysis. Buyers and merchandisers are now able to better manage high-cost inventory, resulting in significant savings. Management reporting that previously slowed operational system performance and required hours to execute can be completed in minutes. Executive dashboards help provide management with concise, summarized information and automated exception reporting to save time in conducting analysis.
Scope of Southport Engagement
- BI Strategy, Planning & Roadmap Development
- Technology Platform Selection, Installation & Architecture Design
- BI Application & Report Development
- Data Integration & Data Quality
- Performance Optimization
- BI Testing Services
Learn more about Southport’s Business Intelligence Service Offerings.